The
other night I was eating dinner and surrounding me was one roommate making
bread with bacon in it, and the other watching Kung Fu Panda. They also sat
with me in the dark on the kitchen floor one night while I pretended that the
oven light was a campfire and ate marshmallows. I really have no complaints.
I've done quite a few interesting
things since last time, which is good because it has been over a month. The day
after my last post we played against the (then) #2 league in the team, Gränichen.
It was a 2-2 final BUT I scored a goal! This is the first time I have scored
since 2014 (that I can remember) and I was really excited about it. I also got
the assist on the second goal so it wasn't that bad of a game for me.
The next game after that was the cup
semi-final which was one of the most exciting games I have played in, not
because of the match itself but because of the atmosphere. There was around 170
people and we were at home which was cool. The away team's fans set of flares
during the match and there was chanting going on. To Europeans I am sure this
seems silly to think so highly of, but for an American that was intense. The
most people who has ever been at a game of mine I would say is probably like 50
and I definitely have never had a flare set off at one of my games. We came
away with a 2-0 win against Wolhen (who we play again this weekend) and we are
headed to the cup final on May 30! I've already been warned to expect well over
200 people at the final. I am very nervous and excited for this match.
Just
a few days after the cup game we played against Döttingen and came away with a
7-0 victory. The most exciting thing for me about that game was that I scored
again! It should be noted that I have been motivated with the promise of a
McDonalds trip for every goal. I have now had McDonalds twice and why no one
tried to motivate me with this before is beyond me.
Saturday night was our most recent
game and it was crazy cold. It was raining slush the entire game, I had the
Atlantic Ocean in my left shoe and the Pacific in my right. One of my toes
somehow got cut open during the match and I didn't even know about it until I
took my shoe off and saw the blood on my sock. Also, didn't even feel the pain
of it until the next day so that was nice. It was absolutely freezing. We won
5-1 though.
My time off the field has been
filled with some fun adventures. We got to spend a night in Muri with some of
the girls from the team and it was fun to just hang out, listen to everyone's
different music, and have the argument about the rules of UNO in three
different languages instead of one. Cheryl and Sarah also took us to these
really cool caves that are inside a mountain. I guess they were formed from the
melting of a glacier or something. Me trying read everything on the placards
that were in German leads to me not knowing much. They were really cool to look
through though. They reminded me a lot of the ones in Tennessee I went to when
I was young(er). The weather was really nice that day too. After the caves we
went to our friend Manuel's house and I was again super happy because he made
fajitas and fajitas are really just tacos and I love tacos and it was the first
time (besides McDonalds) that I ate something that was similar to home.
We spent a day with Maiane's
previous host family and teammate. They have the most beautiful house I have
ever seen. I really liked how their living room wasn't staged around a television,
but instead the windows that are the entire back wall and give view to the most
beautifully green hills and in the far distance the big mountains. She has an
entire art studio where she paints and her house is decorated with all of the
abstract art she creates. Their backyard is huge! It has a small creek, a pond
with handfuls of goldfish (some that are as big as my leg), a big grassy area
where we spent most of our time kicking the ball around with one of the
children. We had a lovely meal with the family and we were invited over again
for Easter celebrations the Saturday before Easter. Their entire family was
there, including 3 three-years olds, a handful of older children, an massive
Easter egg hunt, and our own hidden chocolate bunnies. I was also taught a game
where you smash the eggs against each other on the ends and the one that cracks
loses. That was pretty fun. We spent a lot of the day there and we just hung
out and ate food and enjoyed the company around us.
On actual Easter day we went with
Manuel along with his Mom and Aunt to Laufen Castle. This was unbelievable. It
is right on the cliff next to the Rhein river and a big waterfall. Being a
holiday there were A LOT of tourist and people visiting but the view was still
stunning. You can walk down and have the mist from the falls dust your face and
if you want to you can get on boats that go directly at the falls. We did not
do this because none of us thought the idea of paying money to get soaked and
walk around the rest of the day getting chub-rub was fun. We went into the
castle and then crossed the river to get a look from the other side. I love
castles, absolutely adore them. But the waterfalls of the river were what
really kept my attention. Beautiful but strong, chaotic, majestic, loud, and
captivating. We then went into Germany for dinner. We were early so we went
into a church in the small town we had reservations and every single time I go
in these churches I am blown away by the intricacies. These are just small town
churches and in terms of detail they blow away most of the churches I've been
into in America. I understand the importance is not the building but really
they are so carefully designed. All very "old school" but I
personally prefer that look to the modern boxes we call buildings. At dinner I
ordered Cordon Bleu which is not chicken. It is pork. That was the first
lesson. The second lesson was that it is weird to eat the side after the main.
I ate the whole Cordon Bleu and then ate the rice, and I was picked on the
whole time for it. And that is okay. It took them this long to catch on to the
fact that I'm not particularly fond of mixing foods together on a plate so I
guess the ridicule is miniscule in comparison to the amount of time I could
have had to deal with the heckling.
Oliver took us to the French part of
the country and surprisingly it was noticeably different. I think the French
part of Switzerland looks more different than Germany does. Our first stop was
at a chocolate factory. I thought it was nice because the museum for the
chocolate explained how this specific brand uses hazelnuts specifically because
during the second world war the amount of sugar that could be traded was very
low and so the founder started importing hazelnuts because they were permitted
and were cheap. I find it really fascinating how much you can see the impacts
of the war here. When we went to Interkaken when I first got here there were
still barricades that were put in place if Germany ever decided to come in. The
chocolate is called Ragusa and it is delicious. Afterwards we went to a very
cute little restaurant and had some coffee then continued to look into some
small churches that are absolutely beautiful. All of the churches here are
nice, with stained glass windows and high steeples and arched doorways. That
day we also went into Neuchâtel and took a look at the big lake and the
French-influenced architecture. On the way we passed by a castle and took a
stop to look around. The original castle was built in the 1200's and then
continually added to throughout history. Some of the original was still there
and it was cool to see. It blows my mind that on a very regular basis I am
passing by buildings and structures that are older than my country. I've passed
houses that have older dates than the constitution.
. Manuel took us to Geneva and we
spent the day walking around, seeing different notable things, and enjoying the
weather. A big majority of the day was spent walking next to Lake Geneva. We
saw the Jet d'Eau which is a fountain that shoots water roughly 460 feet into
the air. Originally it was just to help relieve pressure from a power plant but
even though it lacks historical significance it is very cool and can be seen
from over a mile away. We walked through The Conservatory and Botanical Garden
of the city of Geneva which is 69 acres big. I found it historical that out of
all of the plants and beautiful things to look at the Brazilians spent the most
time watching the birds fight. It should be noted that while at Lake Geneva
they stopped to feed the birds our potato chips, just like they stopped in
Neuchatel to feed the birds french-fries instead of looking at the lake at all.
From there we walked what felt like directly uphill to the United Nations. I do
not know what I was expecting but a small city of houses each specifically for
one country's political elite was not it. It looked like something from the
Hunger Games. The headquarters itself was cool. There were protestors outside
from Venezuela asking for recognition and support for the crisis of their
country. This being the same day that Maduro claimed that the opposition was
dead. We sat at the fountains and watched for a little bit before getting some
ice cream and walking back to the car.
Last weekend we got to meet some of
our coach's old team and they cooked a really good dinner for us and then took
us out to a karaoke bar. It was nice because a good few of them spoke English,
and the bar was very old fashioned. There was one girl there (not part of the
team) who took it way to seriously. Remember those kids in middle school who
took gym class way too seriously, like they thought gym class was the Olympics?
Well this girl was the karaoke equivalent of that but with a higher blood
alcohol level. Everyone had a really good time.
Pictures
below!
it sounds like a dream, girl.
ReplyDeleteSo fun to hear about all the adventures as well as the successes in Soccer. Hopp Muri!
ReplyDelete